MATHEWS MALAZIKA
Lusaka
FORMER Vice-President Enoch Kavindele has endorsed President Hakainde Hichilema as a preferred presidential candidate in next year’s general elections.
And Mr Kavindele has encouraged former Minister of Local Government and Rural Development Gary Nkombo to remain steadfast by supporting President Hichilema’s endeavours, adding that his dismissal is a temporary political setback.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in Parliament Robert Chabinga is confident that the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) will deliver credible, free and fair elections in 2026.
In an interview yesterday, Mr Kavindele said he has no reason not to support President Hichilema, especially that he has demonstrated leadership and ability to propel national development to great heights.
Mr Kavindele said another term for President Hichilema will mean full resuscitation of the country’s economy.
“The President has given hope to the Zambian people because, firstly, his administration managed to restructure the debt, mining sector revitalised, and we had favourable rains,” he said.
Mr Kavindele said Mr Hichilema is doing well to try and better the lives of citizens after the PF left a huge debt and a struggling economy.
“It’s just that some people who benefited from free money that was being distributed by the previous administration no longer do so, hence waging a very strong fight against President Hichilema’s continuity,” he said.
He said the New Dawn administration is on the right track in transforming Zambia to a thriving economy.
“CDF (Constituency Development Fund) is so strong that you may not see it on the line of rail, but on the other side of the country people are appreciating the development brought about through CDF.
“Myself, I travel to rural areas a lot and I see that the people would not agree to discard a person whose policies are working for them,” Mr Kavindele said.
He said President Hichilema has done the unexpected in the last few years he has been head of State, hence the need to give him another term.
Mr Kavindele also advised Mr Nkombo not to despair over his dismissal but focus at mobilising party structures in Mazabuka constituency, where he is a Member of Parliament.
Mr Nkombo was dismissed on Friday and replaced by Sinazongwe Member of Parliament Gift Simuunza Sialubalo.
And Mr Chabinga said from the peaceful by-elections conducted across the country so far, ECZ has demonstrated its capabilities to professionally conduct the 2026 general election despite criticism by some opposition political party leaders.
“If you look at a gentleman like Brown Kasaro, who is ECZ chief electoral officer, and Mwangala Zaloumis, who is ECZ chairperson, these are credible people who are capable of giving Zambia a fair and credible election,” he said.
Mr Chabinga said ECZ operations are not based on individuals but a system that has been in existence for years, and has proved to be trusted.
“It is not right to continually attack the people entrusted to run the electoral body. Let us have confidence in them,” he said.
He said the crusade to discredit management at the electoral body for political mileage is not good for the country’s reputation.
Mr Chabinga also said Zambia being a Christian nation, political parties should coexist to foster a culture of peace and unity.